Le dimanche 14 janvier 2024 à 23:39 +0000, Marco Ciampa a écrit : > > Please note that grammar gender has nothing to do with any meaning in any > language. So all this work is a waste of time. > > See for example: https://blog.duolingo.com/what-is-grammatical-gender/ > > but there are tons of examples almost everywhere...
I don't quite agree here, even if discussing it at length on this list is probably difficult. It's cultural, after all. My personal opinion is that using masculine as a neutral form for nouns which design humans comes down to invisibilize womens. In french, we say "masculine takes it all", but it was not always the fact back in time. I'm not sure that this po4a list is the right place to discuss the the sociologic effect of the french grammar, and whether the "masculine is neutral" rule is a form of violence to women, but I do think that words have effects on the world. The blog of duolingo is merely about nouns that design objects, not people. Isn't it? > Amike, If only French had a (true) neutral form as in well designed languages, that would solve this kind of issues for the best. Le lundi 15 janvier 2024 à 03:01 +0300, Fat-Zer a écrit : > > I've actually noticed a passage like this in the po4a docs where a > japanese translator was referred to as she. I was wondering if it was > just a mistake, a some sort of deliberate inclusivity-related thing, a > subtle joke on the fact that a lot of translators are female, or some > piece of personal experience petrified in the docs =)) It's deliberate, even if I agree that it's somewhat useless. Words have an effect, but a small one :) Cheers everyone, Mt
signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part
_______________________________________________ Devel mailing list -- [email protected] To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
