On Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:11:57 PM CET Kyle Fazzari wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> Jos, Daniel and I have been working hard on an ownCloud Pi device
> solution based on Snappy Ubuntu Core[1]. We're finally to the point
> where we have something to share!
>
> This solution is based on Snappy Ubuntu Core 16.04, which the astute
> reader will notice is not yet released. Both Ubuntu Core and this
> solution are in beta, but they're also both usable and we'd love to get
> some people testing them!
>
> So the ownCloud Pi device consists of a Raspberry Pi 2 and an external
> hard drive. This solution provides two images-- one for the SD card, and
> one for the external hard drive. The SD card is then used to boot, while
> the hard drive is used for the writable stuff (including hosting the
> ownCloud data, of course).
>
> These images are located here:
>
>     http://people.canonical.com/~kyrofa/owncloud-pi/
>
> Note that the images are compressed-- use unxz to decompress (or xzcat
> if you want to do it on the fly while using `dd`). The `bootable.img`
> should be flashed to the SD card, and the `writable.img` to the hard
> drive. For a quick walkthrough of how to do that, or if you want to
> generate your own images, go here:
>
>     https://github.com/owncloud/pi-image/tree/master/image-creation-tools
>
> You'll notice there are actually three images there. The
> `owncloud-pi.img` is for those of you who don't have an external drive
> but would still like to test this out on your Raspberry Pi 2. In that
> case, just flash that image to your SD card and away you go. Your
> ownCloud data will simply go on the SD card with everything else.
>
> After you've flashed both the SD card and the hard drive, you should be
> able to insert the SD card, connect the hard drive, connect it to your
> router via an ethernet cable, apply power, and (once it's up) visit
> `owncloud.local`, where it'll ask you to create an admin account. The
> rest should look familiar :) .
>
> Note that you can also SSH to the device using `owncloud.local`; the
> username/password is ubuntu/ubuntu. Keep in mind that this uses Snappy--
> no apt-get, no .debs.
>
> Again, this is in beta, and it could use some good testing if you're
> willing. There are also many features we'd like to add if you want to
> help, which is where I'll turn it over to Jos: the Man with the Vision.
> Please let me know if you have any questions!

Hey Kyle,

We've been playing with the box at the Chemnitzer Linux Tage conf. A few things
we noticed:
* it's ownCloud 8.2.2, any chance we can get it to 9.0?
* it has some issues, like with images previews and some other things, I am
guessing (no, I know) some PHP modules are missing. Would be good to add those,
we're currently trying to figure out which ones are missing. Snappy is new for
us so that might take a bit ;-)

Aside from that, we have performance work to do but honestly, it's not that
bad. And just adding caching (apc) will already make a huge difference so I'm
quite optimistic... And there's lots more on
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_server/performance_tuning.html
 we can do, so anybody on this list should feel very welcome to look over that
and do a pull request that implements one or more of them ;-)

We have to send a 'final' image to WD on Monday so any help is welcome!

Seriously, if you got a pi drive earlier this year (or end of last year) - or
not but want to help anyway - this is the time to help test and improve!