"Running seL4 in any way other than on bare metal makes no sense
whatsoever."

There are scenarios where it makes sense. The power of seL4 is isolation
guarantee. That is, software running virtualized on top of seL4 can't
escape from seL4. This means it can be used to safely run a web browser
(virtualized) in a standard OS. A browser is only exposed to external
threats, that come from the Internet, they reach the host tcp/ip stack and
then the browser. Here an attacker can exploit an OS flaw (in this
scenario, the tcp/ip stack) or can exploit a browser flaw. What attackers
are doing now is to exploit browsers, not tcp/ip. Why? Any bug hunter knows
the answer: it's, by far, much easier to find (and succesfully weaponize)
bugs in browsers!

So, what vendors have been trying is to "virtualize" (really just
sandboxing) browsers (very inefective as they rely on OS own mechanisms,
which are not always available or robust), or running cloud browsers, which
is painful, not user friendly, and expensive...

A solution better than that would be to run the browser virtualized on
seL4. You don't solve the host tcp/ip stack surface attack, nor the "glue"
software surface attack required to run seL4 virtualized, but, again, any
bug hunter would always prefer the scenario of exploiting a browser than
being forced to exploit the tcp/ip stack or "glue" software. Exploitation
is a matter of stats.

That is the scenario I'm talking about.