On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 3:07 PM Michael Neises <neisesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Hugo has a salient point when he says a world of bespoke seL4
> images for every application is a distant one. I share the feeling that a
> hybrid, intermediate step is meaningful. I also echo the idea that
> exploitation at scale is a matter of statistics.
>
> Even if virtualizing the seL4 undermines its security properties, it is
> still a fast and correct microkernel. Putting a usable seL4 image in the
> hands of enthusiasts, budding developers, or even seasoned developers would
> be a boost to the ecosystem.
>
> One reason Linux is so popular is that you can use Linux to develop Linux.
> I would be thrilled to boot any meaningful home or development environment
> on top of the seL4. I would never stop talking about it.

I don't really think the static Microkit/CAmkES type of architecture
will ever be viable for desktops or self-hosting. Basically nobody's
going to put up with rebooting into a different image for each
application like an 80s-era home computer (if that's the kind of thing
you meant by "bespoke seL4 images"). The closest you'd get would be
something like Genode, which is more or less a dynamic system that's
managed like a static one, and even something like that would be too
awkward for most people.  Even for some types of embedded systems, a
static architecture is going to be rather limiting (e.g. a CNC machine
that can have additional hardware like automatic parts loaders or
additional axes added). Running per-application static seL4 images in
a dynamic hypervisor also seems kind of pointless; you might as well
use a regular (non-hypervisor) dynamic microkernel OS instead.

IMO the best approach for a microkernel-based desktop OS is something
architecturally more like QNX than Microkit/CAmkES, since porting
existing Linux code to something like that is going to be relatively
easy. Even though such a system is going to be difficult or impossible
to formally verify as far as security goes since it's so open-ended,
it's still going to be a lot more architecturally secure than anything
mainstream.