Hi Guys,

One area that appears to be severely lacking for the 'new' developer is
guidance on how to set up the host.def file properly so that you can
build XFree86 successfully on your system. The default xf86site.def is a
good start, but it doesn't really explain things since everything is
essentially commented out. You don't really know what stuff you *should*
define to get a standard build on different systems.

Perhaps a good start would be to have a directory with sample host.def
files in it, especially a good 'default' file that can be used to build a
complete XFree86 system on Linux and FreeBSD for instance. That is where
a lot of developers could really use a default they can just copy to
host.def and then do a 'make World'.

Which brings me to my question. Do I need to uncomment the
XF86CardDrivers section in the host.def file in order to build the driver
modules? The comments would seem to indicate you need to do this, but
IMHO that would be kind of silly (too error prone). I *think* in reality
if you do not define this that the default set of all drivers will be
built, and you can use this define to change which drivers actually get
built. Is that correct?

Thanks!

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~