David Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess you must have read something to even know about the existence
> of a host.def file.  I presume that it was misleading, and so should
> be fixed.

Yes, I have the file that I printed out sitting on my desk! As it turns
out, it appears to be rather outdated and antiquated and I am not sure
exactly where I found it now.

> I think that <http://www.xfree86.org/current/BUILD.html> is a
> reasonable introduction to building XFree86, but suggestions for
> improving that document are most welcome.

Yes, that version of the document is a *lot* better than the version I
found, and looks like it was udpated recently.

The key problem I think I have isolated here is simply that this document
is nowhere to be found easily. It is buried *deep* within the XFree86
source tree (xc/programs/Xserver/hw/docs) so people need to know to get
there first to find it, and it is not linked anywhere on the primary
XFree86 web site.

To solve this problem it would be great if someone added a new section to
the primary XFree86 web site titled something like 'Building XFree86 for
the first time'. It could have a paragraph describing how easy it is to
build XFree86, and then have a link to the BUILD.html file. If that was
available when I started building it again a few months back I think it
would have saved me a lot of time ;-)

> for documentation in general is is <http://www.xfree86.org/current/>,
> which is an index of the online documentation that we have available
> for the most recent release.

Right, another page I could not find very easily! This is another page
that I think should be made clearly visible via a link on the main
XFree86.org home page. I am scanning the docs now to see what I have been
missing ;-)

> I wish there was as much information available when I got started. :-)

I wish I knew the information was available! Seriously ;-)

> I can understand that you're pretty busy and have a lot to do.  If
> the typical would-be developer is put off by not being able to
> build within 10 minutes of unpacking, then they're probably not
> going to make much progress with any real development challenges.
> I'll spare everyone my "when I was a lad" stories :-)

Actually I disagree. Developers who are looking for a solution and can't
get stuff going quickly, will go look for another solution. If I can get
it going, I will spend more time investigating the solution as then I
know the project is well polished and worth my time investigating.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~