David Dawes wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:09:50PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Egbert,

I don't see a way how you can work around this as there seems to
be no way to exclude files from checkout/update.
One could create an alias module in the CVS repositry which excludes
the HP directory. Like

xc-win -a !xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/HP xc

Then doing a
    cvs checkout xc-win
may work. However I suspect that a 'cvs update' will still fail as
this doesn't know about the module concept.

Does this mean I can only get HEAD and new branches from it? I just tried to get the xf-4_3-branch and it has the same problem as the xf-4_3_0_1 tag.

I just did this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/x-devel/4.3
$ export [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/x-devel/4.3
$ export CVS_RSH=ssh

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/x-devel/4.3
$ cvs -z3 checkout -r xf-4_3-branch xc > cvs-checkout.log 2>&1

I got:
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/hp
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/keytronic
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/kinesis
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/macintosh
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/microsoft
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/nec
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/northgate
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/pc
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/sony
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/sun
U xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/winbook
cvs [checkout aborted]: could not chdir to xc/programs/xkbcomp/geometry/HP: Not a directory

Does that mean that xf-4_3-branch will never work for Cygwin and that there is nothing we can do to ever fix this?

If so, that is really a bummer.

Be a little patient.  This problem will be fixed, and in a way that
minimises the impact on the history loss.

David

David,

Okay. For now I checked out xf-4_3-branch on a linux machine, tarred it, copied it to my Cygwin machine, and untarred it. This gives me a working repository, but ideally we will eventually fix this or at least try to prevent it from happening too often in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Harold