David Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> going back to 3.3.  Unless someone comes up with a better solution,
> that's what I'm planning to do.

OK, it seems to be the best solution in this situation.

I dare to propose another solution, however: to delete the `geometry'
directory and created a new one (named `geometry2` or `geom` or
whatever) which will have companies as lowercased directories.

> Is there a reason why the extra geometry descriptions couldn't be added
> to the original 'hp' file instead of putting them in separate files in
> a subdirectory?  XKB should allow multiple descriptions per file.

Yes, that's right. This is not a limitaton of XKB.
If you have a look into newly created geometry, you'll see that it
already contains 3 sections, which are nested and re-used:
1. for the mouse stick
2. for the base frame and common buttons
3. for US keyboard layout.

Some other geometries (like ibm/thinkpad) have also
4. for national layouts.

I believe that this is a correct way to develop geometries for
related keyboards and I think that it is logical to combine them into
one file.
Knowing all the problems now, I would still prefer this solution.
I have already developed 4 geometry specifications and will continue
to do so. I don't want to create problems, though :-)

I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!

--
Alexander Pohoyda