On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:04:19 +0200, Alessandro Temil wrote:

>Christian Zietz wrote:
>>
>> The problem is: The current i810 driver does not only read the available
>> resolutions from the BIOS but also uses the BIOS to set the video mode.
>> So if the BIOS doesn't know of 1400x1050, it won't set it.
>> I think there are two solutions:
>> - Change the BIOS to know of 1400x1050. This should be easy for
>> manufacturer of the notebook but considerably harder than my 855patch
>> (for the video memory issue) for anyone else.
>
>I know this but at the moment i'm getting weak support from the
>manufacturer (acer), as they say they give no support to linux
>(my try to explain the difference that passes from a linux driver bug
>and a bios bug had little effect, as you can imagine)

This path is hopeless; the engineers at Acer have absolutely no idea how to
program the graphics chipset.

Hoewever, I am absolutely astonished that the graphics BIOS on a 1400x1050
panel does not know how to set a 1400x1050 mode.  That means, for example,
that the kernel console driver could never set a mode that fills the panel.

Does the i810 driver list the modes it got from the BIOS in the server log?
I have a utility to read the BIOS mode list and display the results; I'll see
if I can dig it up for you.

>> - Rewrite the i810 driver so it bypasses the BIOS like the Windows
>> driver does. I'm not aware whether Intel would provide the required
>> documentation to the the open source community.
>>
>This was the thing i'm inquiring on. Intel seemed to be more
>collaborative, they promptly replied that the problem was submitted to
>the software engineers, but after that i had no more news. I'll write
>them asking for the documentation, i don't think there is any broken
>industrial secret with publishing the correct register addresses that
>drive the video mode change, i hope to get some response soon.

It will be interesting to see if you get a response.  Many manufacturers DO,
in fact, protect their register specifications as confidential intellectual
property.

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.