On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:25:35AM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:04:19 +0200, Alessandro Temil wrote:
>
>>Christian Zietz wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is: The current i810 driver does not only read the available
>>> resolutions from the BIOS but also uses the BIOS to set the video mode.
>>> So if the BIOS doesn't know of 1400x1050, it won't set it.
>>> I think there are two solutions:
>>> - Change the BIOS to know of 1400x1050. This should be easy for
>>> manufacturer of the notebook but considerably harder than my 855patch
>>> (for the video memory issue) for anyone else.
>>
>>I know this but at the moment i'm getting weak support from the
>>manufacturer (acer), as they say they give no support to linux
>>(my try to explain the difference that passes from a linux driver bug
>>and a bios bug had little effect, as you can imagine)
>
>This path is hopeless; the engineers at Acer have absolutely no idea how to
>program the graphics chipset.
>
>Hoewever, I am absolutely astonished that the graphics BIOS on a 1400x1050
>panel does not know how to set a 1400x1050 mode.  That means, for example,
>that the kernel console driver could never set a mode that fills the panel.
>
>Does the i810 driver list the modes it got from the BIOS in the server log?
>I have a utility to read the BIOS mode list and display the results; I'll see
>if I can dig it up for you.

It does list the modes, and it is common for modes matching panels like
this to not be listed.  It might be worth comparing it to the list you
get when using the 'vesa' driver.  Can someone with one of these laptops
try that and post the results?

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com