François Puitg wrote:

The symptoms are : after X has been started and window manager is up (it's the same with KDE, GNOME and twm), sometimes after 1 hour, but most of the time immediately, the keyboard freezes and the mouse becomes erratic, even when doing nothing, just standing there staring at the screen. Then, the machine doesn't respond anymore, neither to VT switching (obvious since the keyboard is dead), nor to ping. If you are really patient (the mouse is very slow), it's possible to exit the window manager : you have to move the mouse towards the exit button, wait to see it moving on the screen, then click and the console is there. But now, the only solution is to reboot (with the reset switch).

I don't mean to sound flip, but have you checked the fans lately?

I've seen similar failures when the video card fan failed, and on
another when the chipset fan failed.  In both cases, the cooked
chips were flaky and never fully functional again :(

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada