It does no such thing.  It demonstrates that OpenGL on Linux is not slow,
but to run those applications you essentially shut down X.  You've
demonstrated nothing about X's performance.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. To the best of my knowledge - I used the OpenGL drivers that nVidia provides. Thay use X infrastrucrure, they have two parts - one for XFree86, the other one - kernel module for direct low level access.
They use X infrastructure, things like GLX, DRI etc. All of these are clearly within the boundaries of XFree86. Maybe my application did not use Xlib - so what. It is still an X app.
The other example I gave - running Half Life remotely and still having it accelerated - this further shows that X is fast. In one case I am using direct rendering, in the other one - I go through the OpenGL protocol encoder. What is the difference?
And in the Quake 3 case - I ran the application both full screen and in windowed mode. How and when did I shut the X server down?
I do not get your point, please correct me if I am wrong.
Best regards:
al_shopov

-- - Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.