On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 00:16:11 +0100, Alexander Stohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>depends on distor and setup, sometimes there are standalone
>Mesa packages and other times it is all merged into the XF86
>libGL packages as the non-optional sofware renderer fallback.

I just found a posting in alt.os.linux.suse from somebody with the same
problem but a Radeon 9700Pro. He wrote that he is using the DRI package from
sourceforge. I downloaded and installed it, but I got the below errormessage.

I also wondered about this posting. I thought to enable 3D acceleration I have
to use the ATI binary drivers instead of open sourced ones. I know that this
is the case for nVidia so I thought it is the same for ATI here. Of course ATI
has this less restrictive NDA policy under which it is possible to still
release OS drivers. So is it worth the effort to use the sourceforge package
and will I have full 3D acceleration?

If so, how can I fix the below error? What is this ABI that the error message
is talking about?

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
Build Date: 11 September 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Dec  5 19:13:12 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(EE) module ABI minor version (7) is newer than the server's version (6)
(EE) Failed to load module "radeon" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to http:/www.suse.de/feedback.

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"

      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

--
Gerhard Gruber
Maintainer of