Nqnsome wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>
> >>Alex is correct. Let focus on the primary display controller on  PCI:0:2:0
> >>with Display Pipe A and Display Pipe B.
> >>In your case you can only have PipeA=CRT and PipeB=LCD (LFP).
> >>
> >>That is why you have the following information
> >>(II) I810(0): Display Info: CRT: attached: TRUE, present: TRUE, size:
> >>(800,600)
> >> (II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
> >> present: TRUE, size: (1024,768)
> >>
> >>The problem is why XFree is saying there is no active display on Pipe B
> >> (II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe B
> >>

> >you can use the "monitorlayout" option to force on the pipes.  see the
> >i810 man page.
> >
> >Alex
> >

> Now I understand the "Pipes", but is still a mistery for me why lspci
> sees the 0:2:1, if it is a Windows "placeholder" (propably because I do
> not understand what a placeholder is...).
>
> Regarding the "No active displays on Pipe B", this probably happens
> because, before starting X, I disable the LCD with the keyboard sequence
> FN+F5. If I do not do this, the screen becomes unreadble

I became aware of  this problem few years back (since 2003). The first time I
experienced it  was with a DELL laptop, and I didn't have free time then to
debug it when I actually  had the laptop. I going to see if I can figure the
problem out (why the LCD is not working) just by reading the code.

> (I guess
> because the CRT works in 1024x768 and the LCD do not).

Not exactly. Both the crt and lcd support 1024x768

> Thanks a lot for the explanations, but I would like to return to the
> question "why the CRT works under 1024x768 and the LCD not". Can this be
> related to the VESA VBE DCC that does not work on the LCD?

no