sorry for misunderstanding.

i have tested apps build userland builds with definitions in sys/types.h and
they are happy - the same as defined on FreeBSD.

i can see comments from some Debian apps - like APT - the definitions are
defined:
https://bitbucket.org/dilos/dilos-apt/src/0d6744f942f7563461be62f37e8ca88afd4727ab/apt-pkg/contrib/sha2_internal.h?at=dilos&fileviewer=file-view-default#sha2_internal.h-65

<https://bitbucket.org/dilos/dilos-apt/src/0d6744f942f7563461be62f37e8ca88afd4727ab/apt-pkg/contrib/sha2_internal.h?at=dilos&fileviewer=file-view-default#sha2_internal.h-65>

i try to investigate some builds without changes in sources and i have found
one way - try to add definitions to sys/types.h/
i think, they can be using through others includes, not by direct include to
corresponding file, but in my example, we can see difect include :
https://bitbucket.org/dilos/dilos-apt/src/0d6744f942f7563461be62f37e8ca88afd4727ab/apt-pkg/contrib/sha2_internal.h?at=dilos&fileviewer=file-view-default#sha2_internal.h-43

<https://bitbucket.org/dilos/dilos-apt/src/0d6744f942f7563461be62f37e8ca88afd4727ab/apt-pkg/contrib/sha2_internal.h?at=dilos&fileviewer=file-view-default#sha2_internal.h-43>

it is not only one example, but i have worked with this components and found
the way how to use builds with it without additional modifications.
also, this component with these headers is using by others components - like
libapt-pkg-perl - and for resolve of bulid issues need to to do some build
flags updates.

best regards,
-Igor

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2017, Igor Kozhukhov wrote:
>
>> example from FreeBSD:
>> http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/freebsd-head/sys/sys/types.h#65
>> Linux:
>> http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/linux-master/include/linux/types.h#106
>> NetBSD:
>> http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/netbsd-src/sys/sys/types.h#93
>> as you can see - they are types at file sys/types.h
>
> The Linux version is in linux/types.h, but the question was where the apps
> want to find them; including some aspect of autoconf scripts or if the
> sources are specifically '#include <linux/types>' but then changed to
> '#include <sys/types.h>' as illumos or the BSD's don't have a linux/types.h.
>
> The primary reason I ask is because I have been investigating a compatibility
> layer, and in that layer there would be added a linux/types.h.  Considering
> how far anyone wants to support compatibility, it might be worth considering
> this methodology for compatibility.
>
> Cheers!
>
> rf

openzfs-developer