Hi Sean,

I do appreciate the offer to help with Qt 5.8.1 creation, but as I explained in
my email to the ml yesterday, I do not think it is feasible plan to make a
release without involving several people from The Qt Company for it and also
causing a load to CI hindering development of 5.9 in parallel. Unfortunately
making a new Qt release is so complicated due to large amount of platforms and
packages involved, that it mandates effort of releasing team of The Qt Company
as well as many developers.

As I explained yesterday, even with a lot of help it would mean that 5.9.0
happens probably end of June or beginning of July. This would mean we lose the
opportunity window to catch up with releasing and improve the CI system
(because Finland and Norway mostly are off in July and Germany in August).
Doing the CI change after August means we are already close to 5.10 release.

As multiple people and teams have planned their development according to
initially agreed feature freeze time of Qt 5.9, it would be very inefficient to
reopen 5.9 now or postpone getting the release out.

If we can get KDAB and others helping with Qt 5.9 with even remotely similar
effort than it would be to create Qt 5.8.1 release I am sure we can make an
awesome Qt 5.9.0 ahead of the planned schedule. This means we can make the CI
system improvements earlier and thus also have Qt 5.9.1 earlier.

Yours,

                Tuukka

On 16/02/2017, 11.14, "Development on behalf of Sean Harmer"
<development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt...@qt-project.org on behalf of
sean.har...@kdab.com> wrote:

    On Wednesday 15 February 2017 18:17:32 Thiago Macieira wrote:
    > On quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2017 09:00:09 PST Tuukka Turunen
wrote:
    > > First I want to say that I am also very sorry that we need to skip
5.8.1.
    > > Unfortunately I do not see any other approach that would allow us to: 1)
    > > catch the delay caused by 5.8 being late (and 5.7 being late, and 5.6
    > > being
    > > late) and 2) enable implementation the much needed CI changes in good
time
    > > before Qt 5.10 feature freeze.
    >
    > Here's a way:
    >
    > Push the 5.9 and 5.10 timelines back. If necessary, unfreeze Qt 5.9.

    Yes this is what I would vote for too. The 5.9 deadline is somewhat
    arbitrary/self imposed so does not have to be set in stone. If this has
knock-
    on effects for the CI upgrades, why can't these be done during the summer
    break by staggering the sysadmin vacations instead of all of them going off
at
    the same time?

    With this we could have a timeline something like this:

    1) Release 5.8.1 asap. Hopefully this would go smoothly given it's a .1
    release.
    2) Push 5.9.0 deadline to end of June but aim for earlier if the config
system
    doesn't adversely affect the package generation.
    3) Perform CI upgrades as soon as 5.9.0 is out (may require some juggling
of
    vacation requests if 5.9.0 goes until end of June.
    4) After summer vacation, start release process for 5.9.1 and 5.10.

    This also helps mitigate the risk of something delaying the 5.9.0 release
by
    getting a .1 release to the users in the interim.

    Also, to allow others to help with the release process, could you explain
    where the main bottle neck is with the release process please? Is it the
    package generation itself? The smoke testing? Something else?

    KDAB is willing to help where we can if it means we can get a 5.8.1 release
in
    the hands of yours and our customers. But to be able to help, we need to
know
    how we can.

    Kind regards,

    Sean