On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:36, Adam Sleight wrote:
> Watchguard employs Paul "Rusty" Russell to maintain the current Linux
> packet filter code who wrote ipfilters (2.2.x) and ipchains (2.4.x).  Even
> watchguard themselves are still using kernel (2.0.x) ipfwadm for their
> firewall software. My point is that I hardly think Mitel is behind
> times...neither do I think that of watchguard.
> http://www.linux-mag.com/cgi-bin/atomz?search=paul+russell
I missed a lot of the start of this, but:
1A. Rusty doesn't work for Watchguard. He works for IBM Linux Technology
Centre. (http://samba.org/~rusty/ )  Rusty seems to be moving out of the
netfilter game in any case.
1B. You seem to have confused names and kernel versions. 2.4 has netfilter and
iptables. 2.2.x has ipchains and 2.0.x has ipfwadm. (
http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/index.html#FAQ )

2. (much more importantly) Don't assume that just because you needed extra
modules with ipchains that you will also need one with iptables. What
(exactly) is it that you think that you need and don't have?

Brad