On Friday 08 February 2002 05:48 pm, you wrote:
> > I think the confusion is based on trying to both firewall and
> > serve? At least
> > it is for me. I seem to remember when e-smith recommended that
> > firewalling
> > and serving should be done separately, on separate equipment. I
> > tend to agree
> > with that.
>
> OK, but the issue is being a gateway, not so much firewalling.  As I
> recall, e-smith v4.0 is when they stopped saying that they didn't consider
> their product to be a firewall, but as long as I can remember, the have
> been a server and gateway.  You may want to run a separate firewall to
> protect you network, but Mitel has to consider that this product has always
> been a gateway, and masq modules play an important part in that role.

Well, that is the heart of the issue for me. I do not expect gateways to
perform security functions as such. That is a bonus. I expect firewalls and
protocols and security policy and common sense to work together to perform
security functions.

I am sugggesting that by incorporating firewalling into this product, and
declaring it to be a "security solution", the die was cast to cause these
issues we are now discussing.

Bob