> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> 1.  Freenet installer asks where the Freenet software should be
>> installed
>> 2.  Freenet installer asks separately where shared system files should
>> be installed
>> 3.  If Java not detected, the Freenet installer uses that second path to
>> install Java using Sun's online installer?
>
> I think it is always good practice to keep the number of questions a
> user must answer to the absolute minimum.  If necessary allow a user to
> opt out of something by unchecking a check box, but don't force them to
> answer a question (as the current installer does with those ugly dialogs
> which should really be checkboxes).

I couldn't agree more.  They are awful.
NSIS makes developing installers with checkboxes / radioboxes more effort
than is strictly tolerable.  WISE is only slightly more tolerable, but
non-free.  MSI I haven't tried yet but I would expect it to be both
tolerable and free (the MSI sdk is certainly free).  But until someone
donates me a copy of WISE, or I suddenly get a bit of freetime, it's not
going to change.

> With this in mind, 1 is somewhat redundant, why would they download the
> installer if they didn't want to install Freenet.  3 is probably bad,
> there is a standard place to put Java, we shouldn't default to putting
> it somewhere else.

Did you misread my 'where' as 'whether' ?
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to silently install Java
to wherever the user asks to put Freenet.  That is, if we're going to
silently install Java anywhere.  I wasn't aware there was a 'standard
place' to put Java.  Last time I tried installing Java (the SDK as it
happens), the installer asked me where I wanted to put it.  As it turned
out it got it wrong, but that's my choice, not the installer's choice.  It
suggested J:\Program Files, but I use that for OS-tied applications.  It
should have been F:\Devel, but of course the installer had no way of
knowing this without asking me first.