Another usability test, with somebody who has used Freenet before once or
twice but remains essentially a newbie.

My observation: Can we get rid of the "I will configure it manually" choice?
And maybe the welcome page? (#3094)

The browser warning: User installed Chrome, and copied the URL across (without
prompting), thus restarting the wizard.

Since he knows me he chose maximum security.

The warning shown when setting friends security to HIGH is missing, it shows
the name of the string, not the explanation. (#3095)

Several messages refer to "network security level". What does this mean? We
use "protection against strangers attacking you over the internet" etc... we
should put "network security level" in brackets or something. (#3096)

You have no peers message: should tell him to add peers via the Connections to
Friends page, with a link. User had no idea. It should also link to (or even
have a button for?) the security levels page. (#3097)

Friends page: what is a noderef? We need to have some dismissable explanation
text here to explain that you need to exchange noderefs both ways to get
connected. (#3035)

We exchange noderefs over skype. Skype appears to put linebreaks in, but this
worked anyway.

Because we were both on the same LAN, it did not connect, until I told him to
set it to allow local addresses on that peer. There should be a checkbox when
adding a noderef, defaulting to on, "Friend may be on the same local network
as me" or something. (#3098)

The node took some time to connect, even then. My side showed it as connected
quickly, but his side said DISCONNECTED, with nothing in the logs. I sent his
node a node to node text message, which was received; when a reply was sent,
it finally showed up as connected. (#3099)

My observation: Also, it would have helped if the friends page had refreshed
itself via javascript; sashee will be working on this over summer. (#3100)

Once connected to my node, it repeatedly RNFed on the top block of TUFI.
Performance with one peer is expected to be poor, but it is worse than IMHO
it could be. Some sort of fair sharing scheme ought to allow a darknet peer
that isn't doing much to have a few requests accepted while we are rejecting
tons of requests from other darknet peers and opennet peers. (#3101)

Then he switched the network seclevel to NORMAL.

My observation: maybe we should give some sort of progress indication for
bootstrapping on the homepage? Or even on the loading-a-page progress pages?
Maybe when we have fewer alerts (by consolidating them) we could show them on
the loading-a-page page? (#3102)

The search box is broken, we need to release 1210 to fix it.

My observation: The search page should have a meaningful title, and not take
up a big chunk of space with its name and version. (#3103)

Related idea: We should maybe tell the user in the installer that they should
use a separate browser for Freenet, rather than in the wizard? And then let
them choose one, and then use it when they click on the icon to browse
Freenet? (#3104)