On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 07:36 +0100, Florent Daigniere wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 00:42 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > On 21/03/15 20:49, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > > On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Matthew Toseland
> > > <matt...@toselandcs.co.uk>
> > > That's part of it, but also that a branch should be created for each
> > > bugfix/feature, which ideally should be as small a unit of work as
> > > possible
> > > (that can be merged without breaking stuff).
>
> It only is if the diff is of reasonable size... which it is most of the
> time, *except* when it comes from paid devs.
>
> They code in their cave for months, drop a 100kloc diff doing way more
> than a single feature/bugfix onto the maintainer and expect it to be
> merged; I'm sure that refactoring is good but not when it's forked off
> for 6month... This is the problem we had recently with both toad's and
> xor's code. We're talking about dozens of features and bugfixes AND
> refactoring.
>
> What blocks development is that the refactoring isn't merged until their
> work is ready... and there's usually a good reason for it; they code
> first and think later (to be fair it's a common trait amongst devs
> working alone) which means that as long as they haven't "tried it out"
> they're not quite sure of what they want in terms of API... so it's only
> in a mergeable state when "it works".
>
> Whether there's a single change per commit/branch/pull request doesn't
> matter as long as one of them is enforced. Until now the base unit was
> supposed to be "one change per commit"; I'm all for changing it to
> something else but that won't solve the problem unless it's enforced
> strictly.
>
> Florent

Just to put some perspective on what I've written above:

Here's toad's diff:
https://github.com/freenet/fred/pull/287/files

Here's xor's diff:
https://github.com/freenet/fred/pull/319/files

in both cases github gives up rendering it:
"Sorry, we could not display the changes to this file because there were
too many other changes to display."

and doesn't even display the commit count:
" This pull request is big! We're only showing the most recent 250
commits. "

As for the individual commits, there's plenty which are doing more than
a bugfix/feature/single semantic change.

Florent