On 19/10/15 15:07, Florent Daigniere wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 14:11 +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
>> I still think you should separate optimising routing (trees of all
>> locations etc, long's instead of doubles) from changing behaviour
>> (ignoring FOAF peers if they were also the peers of a node we've
>> already
>> visited).
> That's what I'm trying to do here... I haven't done the last level of
> optimization where we combine all of them into a single structure
> (instead of iterating on each peer). It's still O(n)+
>
> Here's how it's wired-in
> https://github.com/nextgens/fred/blob/optimize-closerpeer/src/freenet/n
> ode/PeerManager.java#L1054
>
> As you can see, the logic is preserved, with the exception of how we
> handle what's in the exclude list... What I'm wondering is whether that
> new behaviour is fine or not. Do we need to compare what's in the
> exclude list modulo Double.MIN_VALUE (old  behaviour) or is an exact
> match fine (new behaviour)?
Double.MIN_VALUE is only really needed when we're doing arithmetic on
doubles to get new locations. I don't think we are here. It should be fine?

Granted we do pass them around - in messages as doubles, in node
references as text, so maybe????
> If it's not I just need more code to make it mirror the old one.
>>  Does our FOAF locations-of-peers announcement include nodes
>> which are backed off for long periods? Nodes which are disconnected?
> It's complicated. There are several checks before and after; I'm not
> sure what the behaviour should be.
The new code needs to mirror that - that's a bigger deal IIRC.