We're not using Google analytics; that bug is outdated since the new site
launched a few days ago. We are now using piwik webserver log analysis.

I don't know where those other estimates came from. It'll be unsurprising
that my numbers sound the most reasonable to me. The stats site goes into
detail on what exactly the estimates are of and how they're generated; you
can compare that to the PETS and CENO techniques. I'll be interested to
learn how they differ - could you report back if you find anything? I'd
actually expect at least one of those to be the total number of unique
identifiers observed over some period, which does not reflect network size
as far as number of nodes regularly online.

I'm not sure how accuracy might be improved. As mentioned in the
explanation section of my stats page, weighting by the uptime percentage
included with each probe identifier might help, but it's not especially
clear what sort of weighting is appropriate.

- Steve