" For a while that worked pretty well, perhaps partially because the
constant flow of favorable publicity provided a constant flow of new,
enthusiastic, and (often) competent developers willing to devote their
time."

This, more or less. Freenet is simply not experiencing the positive
feedback loop it used to be in. There's no single way to get back into the
grove outside of simply working until you have something that people want
to use. The situation might look dire from the discussions we're having,
but active participation from developers will go a long way as long as the
code is QA'ed.