Ian Clarke schrieb:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Thomas Sachau <tommy at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I dont contribute code as a freenet dev, but i do package it for Gentoo
>> linux and from that perspective, i have to strongly vote against gwt.
>> That thing is a big beast with many included external libs, often even
>> modified ones and a complex build system. I once tried to create a
>> package for it, it took me many hours and there was still no good
>> result. So unless this has greatly increased or someone else can provide
>> a sane package for Gentoo, requiring this framework to build freenet
>> would result in freenet being dropped from Gentoo as a package.
>

> I assume this would only be a problem if it was a requirement that the
> Java-JavaScript compilation occurs during the Gentoo build process, rather
> than just distributing the JavaScript already compiled - right?
>
> Ian.

One reason to not use pre-compiled stuff is, that you can patch or
adjust the code before you compile it. In addition, only those patches
have a chance to go upstream, probably noone will accept a patch against
the generated javascript code.

Since it is Gentoo policy to give the user this choice and ability,
shipping the precompiled code is not really an option.

Matthew Toseland schrieb:
> Also, there is a package for GWT for Debian, I wonder if somebody has
> done one for Gentoo? A lot of stuff uses GWT ...

There is no package for GWT in the main tree of Gentoo. While it is
possible do create something for GWT, the real problem is to do it
properly with clean building from source and without included external libs.

> If it's an official package it needs to be built from scratch. And
> iirc right now it is an official package.

I dont know the details about the debian policy. "built from scratch"
can both mean "build the gwt code from scratch without the included
external libs" or "just build everything gwt ships from scratch". If it
is the first and if this is done for the debian package, then it might
be possible for Gentoo too. It would still mean many hours of work to
get it done.

--

Thomas Sachau
Gentoo Linux Developer