I'm not entirely against changing it to something else, but I can't find
anything less restrictive/technical than "identifier" but more technical
than "name". Does anybody have any suggestions?

Another alternative is to add hints in the form, explaining in more
detail what is a title and what is a name.

Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu