Another idea would be to use the extension page`s release notes as the main
place where to write changes and then, in the XE RN, aggregate the RN of
all the bundled extensions. This would cover both contrib and core
extensions and would also make the extension page much nicer, since right
now you can only see the documentation but have no clear picture of the
changes that the application has gone through. What we are doing now does
not make a lot of sense (having the page + doc in one place, and the
changes of particular extensions in the RN of some product aggregating
them).

Otherwise, sure, 1) is the workaround solution to continue doing what we
are doing.

Thanks,
Eduard