On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We have 2 topics to decide:
>
> * Topic 1: Right now we have 2 help applications. We need to decide if we
> merge them or not.
> * Topic 2: Decide if we keep the Help Center app in contrib or if we move
> it in platform.
> * Topic 3: Decide if we fold the Sandbox into the Help Center
> * Topic 4: Decide how we handle data created/modified by users when we
> upgrade or for newcomers.
>

> Re topic 1, my preference goes to having a single help application and
> fold what’s currently in the platform help app into the Help center.
> There’s no reason that knowing how to edit a page would be more or less
> core than knowing the syntax markup or the Tips Panel.

I would keep the syntax help in a separate module that is a dependency of
the Help Center, in case some flavor wants only this and not the full Help
Center.

> Re topic 3, I don’t think that the sandbox app is really that useful as a
> standalone app and I would be for merging it into the Help application.

The Sandbox is already a dependency of the Help Center. We could merge but
we could also keep it in a separate module.

> Re topic 4, there are 2 issues I can think of:
> - when new users come in, if the pages that are supposed to be modified
> (sandbox + the 2 bundled AWM apps) have been heavily modified, then
> newcomers won’t see the default content and could just be seeing defaced
> content.

I think Thomas has worked on a feature to "reset to factory" any XAR
extension. That could help to restore the default content, either before
the upgrade or from time to time.

> - if the pages have been modified by the user + by the help app then on
> XWiki upgrade there’ll be conflicts.
>
> One idea for topic4 is to have the Help app spawn new pages (ie pages not
> bundled by the Help app itself) for users to try them out, by having some
> “try it out” button.
>
> Re topic 2, the issue with keeping the help center app outside of platform
> is that we need to support documentation for multiple versions of XWiki.
> For example, we modified the page menu in Xwiki 9.4 and there are over 10
> screenshots to update. However users of XWiki 8.4 (for ex) can also install
> this app and if they get the new documentation, it won’t match what they
> see in their wiki. The same can be said with the new notification feature
> for example.

The Help Center can have versions that match XWiki versions. It can stay in
contrib (I don't see it as core) and we release a new version when there
are significant changes.

> The advantage of moving it in platform is that it’s in sync with the
> platform (ie less work) but we should only document platform features in
> it. It also means longer release times since it’s linked to the release of
> platform. Note that the rationale for having it in platform would be that
> platform help is a core feature.
>

> We could (and probably should) offer some places in the Help Center so
> that Extensions could plug their help. And we could probably refactor a bit
> the current content of the help center to move help for feature in the
> extension UI part of those extensions.

The Help Center is right now more about promoting a hand-picked list of
features (editorial work) rather than showing automatically help for any
extension you have installed.

Thanks,
Marius