> [...]
>> upgrade or for newcomers.
>>

>> Re topic 1, my preference goes to having a single help application and
>> fold what’s currently in the platform help app into the Help center.
>> There’s no reason that knowing how to edit a page would be more or less
>> core than knowing the syntax markup or the Tips Panel.
>>

> I would keep the syntax help in a separate module that is a dependency of
> the Help Center, in case some flavor wants only this and not the full Help
> Center.
>

>> Re topic 3, I don’t think that the sandbox app is really that useful as a
>> standalone app and I would be for merging it into the Help application.
>>

> The Sandbox is already a dependency of the Help Center. We could merge but
> we could also keep it in a separate module.
>

>> Re topic 4, there are 2 issues I can think of:
>> - when new users come in, if the pages that are supposed to be modified
>> (sandbox + the 2 bundled AWM apps) have been heavily modified, then
>> newcomers won’t see the default content and could just be seeing defaced
>> content.
>>

> I think Thomas has worked on a feature to "reset to factory" any XAR
> extension. That could help to restore the default content, either before
> the upgrade or from time to time.
>

>> - if the pages have been modified by the user + by the help app then on
>> XWiki upgrade there’ll be conflicts.
>>
>> One idea for topic4 is to have the Help app spawn new pages (ie pages not
>> bundled by the Help app itself) for users to try them out, by having some
>> “try it out” button.
>>
>> Re topic 2, the issue with keeping the help center app outside of platform
>> is that we need to support documentation for multiple versions of XWiki.
>> For example, we modified the page menu in Xwiki 9.4 and there are over 10
>> screenshots to update. However users of XWiki 8.4 (for ex) can also install
>> this app and if they get the new documentation, it won’t match what they
>> see in their wiki. The same can be said with the new notification feature
>> for example.
>>

> The Help Center can have versions that match XWiki versions. It can stay in
> contrib (I don't see it as core) and we release a new version when there
> are significant changes.
>

>> The advantage of moving it in platform is that it’s in sync with the
>> platform (ie less work) but we should only document platform features in
>> it. It also means longer release times since it’s linked to the release of
>> platform. Note that the rationale for having it in platform would be that
>> platform help is a core feature.
>>

>> We could (and probably should) offer some places in the Help Center so
>> that Extensions could plug their help. And we could probably refactor a bit
>> the current content of the help center to move help for feature in the
>> extension UI part of those extensions.
>>

> The Help Center is right now more about promoting a hand-picked list of
> features (editorial work) rather than showing automatically help for any

Yes but I don’t see any fundamental difference. It would just mean that only
some features would provide help at this stage.

I see it very similar to this page:
http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Features

This pages contains 2 parts:
* A fixed part at the top listing topics that are more generic than just one
extension
* But it has a big part that is contribute by extensions themselves (it offers
a place for extensions to contribute content).