Hi Denis,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I know it's been a while, but I'd still like
to follow up on it since it's quite the fundamental issue.

> Therefore, by improving the hash algorithm, the size of the ids, and the
quality of the hashed key, we have considered ourselves to be saved enough
for a normal usage.

Still, with enough bad luck, documents and objects may be overwritten
without a trace. This is not a stable implementation. And even worse, if on
any XWiki installation hash collisions will happen in the future (or have
already happened since 4.x), they probably won't be easily associated with
this issue because it's nearly impossible to debug.

While I do now understand the motivation to stick with hashes, I'm still
not sure why a collision detection would be difficult to introduce and why
it's even "impossible for some API". Let me briefly outline an idea:

In XWikiHibernateStore#saveXWikiDoc on L615
<https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/stable-9.11.x/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.java#L615>
an exists check on the doc id is already performed. If now
xwikidoc.fullName is also selected in the HQL, a comparison to
doc.getDocumentReference() can expose an imminent collision before data is
overwritten. At least an XWikiException should be thrown in this case. A
similar thing could be done before saving BaseObjects on L1203
<https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/stable-9.11.x/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.java#L1203>
to avoid collisions on Object IDs.

I don't think a change like this would be difficult to implement, I could
provide a PR of that sort. The performance penalty has to be tested for
your systems though, since the full name isn't indexed afaik.

Regards

Marc Sladek
synventis gmbh