On 3 March 2010 09:58, Knut Staring <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Jason Pickering
> <jason.p.picker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, it is certainly possible, but this is not how the DHIS2 live app
>> is launched. It is not launched with a bat script.
>>
>> So, if we want users to have a "double clickable" icon to start the
>> application and not a batch file, then it would need to occur from
>> within the DHIS2 Live EXE itself. That is how I see it, but maybe Bob
>> has other comments.
>>
>> The downside of this is that users may  need the Postgres service
>> running anyway, for instance if they need to use the PivotTables
>> without having DHIS2 running.
>>

> Well, could be a resource issue, of course - you'd rather not have Jetty eat
> resources when not needed. On the other hand, the Postgres service would
> always be running (assuming you set it to automatic). I don't think it would
> be to onerous to ask a user to start DHIS2 before refreshing the Pivot
> table, but the resource issue could be real.

One can easily enough implement stop the database, start the database,
stop the webserver, start the webserver as menu options from the tray.
 But I can imagine this could be very confusing for users.

>> I think a service is the best way to go at this point for the Desktop
>> install. It is not that much more complex to add a custom user and a
>> custom service.  Comments welcome however.

By far the best way to go longer term with the desktop install would
be to get first class citizenship for the h2 database.  Which I
suspect largely means making the dxf dumps more complete.