Hi Magda

When one goes into an electronics store one finds many choices in PC's based on
price/needs.
When the military wants a laptop, they don't know where they will be next and
they do not want to have a million choices because the troops and equipments
have to be everywhere.

But, we know that even though we ave laptops in harsh conditions around the
developing world, not everyone needs to have the equivalent of a machine that
can go anywhere at any time.

The OLPC is an engineering marvel designed by academics and those who wanted to
create one bullet proof machine to go anywhere under any condition rather than
a platform that could be easily manufactured and modified for the specific
need. And that is what they have done. I know that where we work, a low cost pc
that could be based on any model in local stores in the US would work well for
a large majority.

Unfortunately OLPC is the HumVee of laptops and your concerns are well taken.

Next stop?  cell phones.

cheers

tom

tom abeles