Apparently, we violently agree. I wrote in the original message (see below):

"...The real problem of the Digital Divide isn't
technology as much as it is use of technology in an appropriate manner
which increases the quality of life. Giving a farmer in an obscure part
of the world an internet connection isn't going to feed him or her..."

Technology *is* just a tool, just like the stone axe. Yes, you are right
that technology is defined by the creator.

But nobody said that technology couldn't be changed to be used by
others. Whose responsibility is it to change something? Let's say I
build a car, and you like the car and purchase it from me. Does that
keep you from modifying the car for your own needs? No, it certainly
does not.

The same with HTML. Why not lobby W3C about the English bias? I don't
see anyone as powerless when it comes to these things. But I do see
people making choices by failing to make choices. Humans have a history
of adapting things to human need. Should modern technology be different?

Wow. This is dangerously close to an analog for Free Software and Open
Source. Actually, it's not even an analog. It is the same thing.

If people CHOOSE to accept things as they are, there will be no change,
and these people can blame whoever they want - but ultimately, if they
DO nothing, then ultimately they are just as responsible as the people
they blame.

People need to take ownership of problems so that they can solve them.
When they are in the process of solving them and require aid, then they
deserve it. But if they are happy with the status quo, then they are
doomed to the status quo. I forget which authors wrote that, but I think
you can find it in any ancient book of philosophy.

But then, we live in a world where there is a want for things at no
cost. I recall speaking to someone who plays the Sims - a low income
person. And this person told me that they used a cheat in the game which
allows their 'people' to not have to work, and get money for nothing.
This disturbed me profoundly at a very deep level - because that person
is not working, and is on fixed income but constantly talks of moving
away from it.

Is it art imitating life, or life imitating art? I'm sure I don't know.
But what's funny is that the person who doesn't take ownership of that
person's problems also doesn't take ownership of her virtual people's
problems, instead resorting to cheating.

(It's not like I've never used game cheats. But I am less likely to now.)

--
Taran Rampersad

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.linuxgazette.com