A few weeks ago Andy reported that enrollment had reached over 6,000 in the
DDN list.  However, in subsequent conversations we all agreed that far fewer
than that were actually active in using the DDN and similar sites to learn,
collaborate and bring solution to some of the problems that we write about
on a regular basis.

John mentioned the Web Heads in his 5/7 message.  I was part of a 4-hour web
heads meeting yesterday (Sunday, 5/8) where 39 people from  from countries
like Australia, China, Japan, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Portugal, Canada,
Belarus, and the USA did workshops and shared ideas that were intended to
help kids be more successful in school and in jobs/careers.

You can view the archive of these workshops at www.alado.net/econference and
see the schedule of workshops planned for the rest of this week.  You can
also see that there is a face to face Tutor/Mentor Leadership Conference on
Friday May 12 and 13, then another eConference, hosted by IUPUI on May 23.

These conferences are intended to draw people together to learn, network,
and collaborate on building better systems to help kids born in poverty be
in jobs/careers by age 25.

I congratulate the Web Heads and the Digital Workforce Society at City
Colleges of Chicago for taking the lead to create and host this eConference
in collaboration with the Tutor/Mentor Connection and encourage others on
the DDN list to move from reading the messages, to participating in the
workshop and collaborating where that makes sense.

A friend of mine in Chicago, TV newsperson Merri Dee, gave me this quote
many years ago.  "If it is to be, it is up to me."

The Internet gives that term much more power.  I hope that many of you will
join us on line, or this weekend at the Chicago conference, which will be
held at the Northwestern University Law School. The web site is
www.tutormentorconference.bigstep.com.  Registration is still open and
scholarships and group rates are still available.

Daniel F. Bassill
Tutor/Mentor Connection
800 W. Huron
Chicago, Il. 60622