Dr. Steve Eskow wrote:

>Taran,
>
>I ask you this publicly rather than privately, since others on this DDN list
>may have the same question.
>
>How man US dollars does a "high end" Amida Simputer cost?

Right now? $480. With an initial run of 50,000 manufactured, it's hard
to compete with a Dell - so take that into consideration before you
start making judgements. Oh - and you're asking for a comparison of a
laptop to a palmtop. That's a little strange, but I'll go with it. I
imagine if I bought more than 10, I could negotiate a better price.

>And how does it compare in power and utility with an entry level Dell
>Computer that costs 298 US dollars, and is described in this way:
>
>Base Model Includes:
> IntelTM  CeleronTM  processor at 2.40GHz
> Microsoft®  Windows®  XP Home Edition
> 256MB Single-channel Shared6 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
> 17" (16.0"vis) Monitor
> 40GB5 Ultra/ATA 100 Hard Drive
> Integrated IntelTM  Extreme 3D Graphics
> 90-Day Limited Warranty3 and At-Home Service4

Well, I don't know why you didn't check the Amida Simputer site, but
here are the specs:
http://www.amidasimputer.com/specs/

On a hardware level, it's pretty hard to compete with the laptop. But
the Simputer has a few things that a discerning person will appreciate -
such as a lack of need for downloading of Microsoft Service Packs (if
that's a big loss for some, I don't know why), and special software
which is written specifically for developing world applications. If it
makes anyone feel better, perhaps we could get LPI to offer a Simputer
Certification. :-)

Since the 206MHz StrongArm Intel CPU doesn't need to run Windows XP,
it's probably at least as responsive as the above machine - possibly
faster. The video card is a non-issue; it's comparing a palmtop to a
laptop (thus the same with the monitor). The Simputer also, I am sorry
to say, lacks moving parts - so it's probably more robust in the long
run. And with only 64 Megabytes of RAM, the Simputer won't run Windows
XP. Fortunately, since it's running Linux, it doesn't *need* 64
megabytes of RAM.

I'll have 2 months of support. When I have it, after 2 months in Guyana,
I can speak more about that - if I have to use it. But that's a
*service*, and isn't really a hardware specification or software
specification.

The real plus that I see? The hardware specs are open - Dell is
notorious for creating specific parts that only are for Dell machines
(so you have to buy parts directly from them). And the 'At-Home Service'
and 90 day Limited Warranty are only useful when you can get support
locally - and if you can get that support from an authorized Dell
Dealer, you may have to wait a while for parts (a thing called 'Just In
Time Inventory' makes that a concern). The Simputer, on the other hand,
will get support from India - and I imagine in Guyana I'll have the same
problems, until some group within the Latin American/Caribbean region
produces them. But if I do need to ship it, it's 206 grams. I'll save a
few stamps.

Then there's the software, which is written for the person in the
developing world. Oh - and I'm betting that a battery life of 8-12 hours
outclasses just about any laptop.

And as far as cost - tell me how many of the components in that Dell are
manufactured for Dell, and we can work a ratio. The Simputers cost will
go down, the Dell costs are already down because of mass production.

Really, I think you could better compare this Palm Pilot to your Dell:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-e/

Again, bear in mind that these products are presently mass produced,
whereas the Simputer is not.

Until I have one in my hand and play with it, though, I can't tell you
the plus side of the Simputer. I have a laptop. But I look forward to
the Simputer, because it's a flexible machine which can be produced
anywhere in the world. I'm getting the full Software Development Kit as
well (not included in that price), and maybe I'll have some time to
really put the Simputer through my paces. And with 12 hours to do it as
I wander the globe, I expect I can have some real fun.

So - what did we learn from the comparison? I hope we learned that they
are different machines... and also that hardware requirements for
running an operating system which also allows an accelerometer as an
input device is small enough to fit into a machine with these
considerably lower hardware requirements. I hope we realize that the
comparison was between 2 machines with quite different objectives.

But if you want to know if I would have bought a Dell like the one above
instead of a Simputer - if that's really what you're asking - well,
you'll get a very different answer. After all, in a few years I'll be
able to buy PCs directly from Venezuala instead of the U.S. Maybe
Venezuala might manufacture Simputers as well. I imagine that people in
outlying areas might find a Simputer more feasible than a Dell laptop,
but I'll make you a deal. Check my weblog after I get the Simputer and
head to Guyana - I'll have it in action, and we can have a more
interesting discussion then.

Heck, I might even email you from it while I go check out some fishing
in the area- if I get a chance (I expect I'll be too busy for fishing).
And if you want to really have a comparison, send me a Dell with the
above specs - but instead, have Dell install Linux for me if you could.
The price might go down even more, and would make the value of the Dell
increase a bit.  If you want my shipping address in Panama, let me know.
Or if you want to ship it directly to Guyana, I can probably dig up an
address on that as well.

I'll give you a fair comparison wherever I go. :-) Don't think I'll let
the Simputer off easily because I 'like it'.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Jose, Costa Rica

http://www.knowprose.com