I've made contact with Amida Simputer - I will be purchasing a high end
Simputer at the beginning of June, and having it sent to me in Panama.
This is an out of pocket expense for me, but I'm putting my money where
my mouth is (now that I have the money coming in) and will be taking it
with me to Guyana for two months. For those of you who contacted me
offlist regarding getting one for review, it seems that the best way to
do that is to spend a few hundred dollars and do it. Since the people
who did contact me were working with institutions, I think this is a
plausible scenario.

I'll also be getting some more information from Amida Simputer which I
shall share with the list once I get it. While I have the best wishes
for MIT's $100 laptop - and serious misgivings - I'm more interested in
what is tangible, here, and can use the support.

When I am in Guyana, I shall be volunteering my technical skills at a
local hospital, an orphanage and a vocational school. This is dealing
with websites, PCs (and getting them running), and some other things.
I'm certain I shall have some interesting things to share, and I'll
start blogging about that in late June/early July. Since I'll be
cat-sitting in Panama in between, I expect to get a lot of other things
done related to cyber-stuff - including some follow up on mobcasting
with Andy, and a few other things. Caffeine and a 1 megabit connection
will be a wonderful thing in Panama. :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Jose, Costa Rica

http://www.knowprose.com