Dave,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> so abysmally that my friend has insisted that I install XP for her. I'm
> doing this, as well as adding a RAM upgrade.

Before installing XP, why not try a different version of Linux, or at least
a re-tuned version of Linspire.

In fact, one thing that MIGHT make the Linux system really slow is whether or
not
DMA has been turned off for the main disk drives.  I had a Linux system that
was slow, and finally I realized that the DMA had been turned off for the hard
drives (sometimes necessary for CD-ROMs), which made the system work really
SLOW.

OR it could be that (to be "easy" for the former Windows users) that they did
something like mounting the file systems synchronous, or using log-based
file systems on a mostly read-only file system.

Yes, the people who package the system should have done this, but with your
explanation of their attitudes, I would not be surprised.

I also am aware that the pre-V2.0 versions of Open Office (Alpha and Beta
versions) were REALLY slow, and right before V2.0 came out the speed of Open
Office improved DRAMATICALLY.  It is possible that the version of OO on Linspire
was one of these pre-release versions.

In any case, try pulling down a version of Fedora or SuSE 10.0 and putting that
on the machine, making sure DMA is turned on for the hard drives after
installation.

Warmest regards,

maddog
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.