>I believe she already has the software she uses on a day to day basis

Playing the devil's advocate (these words take on new meaning), she should
check her licenses.  Software purchased bundled with another machine is often
not transferable to another system.

> I'm disappointed, because this configuration amounts to a very bad
> configuration from a marketing perspective. Linspire is bloated, and the
> makers of Linspire must surely be aware that their software takes up a
> certain amount of resources to run. Why release a machine that's  configured
> to draw attacks and criticism for abysmal performance?

Linspire may not have had much to say about it.  It is not their computer, they
just have their OS on it.  It was up to the company that built the computer
for Fryes, and Fryes itself that make the poor call.

According to the Linspire marketing guy, Frye's was using this as a "loss
leader".

According to Wikipedia:

"In marketing, a loss leader is an item that is sold below cost in an effort
to stimulate other profitable sales."

In the "loss leader" area, the first thing that a person might buy is more
memory, and the service of installing it.  But if they have to do this, then
the system automatically costs more than the $159.

Another "loss leader" technique is "bait and switch".  Advertise a low-cost
computer, and when it looks like a dog in the store, sell a higher priced one.
I can not be sure that this is Frye's tactic, but if it smells like....

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.