Alex Rollin wrote:
Do we have enough for a Wikipedia entry yet?  Is this more of a demeanor, a
leaning, or, is it a 'career,' or perhaps a bent.

I believe that we could say that it's a general descriptor, sort of like 'concerned citizen'. I think we can break technology activism away from 'technological activism' - activism centered around technology. The human-centric perspective is the way I see technology activism (and appears to be the consensus so far). As Jeff Mowatt pointed out, being such an activist can come with a heavy price tag. I wouldn't say that it's been horribly disfiguring for me, but being who I am and speaking my mind as I do definitely rubs a lot of the 'powers that be' the wrong way and has (sometimes serious) repercussions.

Technological activism, on the other hand (and I just made this up), is more of the activism for specific technologies. A technology activist might take part in technological activism - in saying that technology X would be useful in country Z because of Y. But being a technological activist doesn't mean that one is a technology activist - in the Venn diagram, it's a merge point with mainly business. For example, I vocally support Digicel in Trinidad and Tobago for providing competition to what is still presently a legal monopoly for telecommunications, so that's a form of technological activism. But the reason I am doing it is because it gives people more options, not that I particularly like Digicel - so it's technology activism. If I worked for Digicel, it could still be technology activism, I suppose, but not as credible because of the direct financial benefit.

I don't know about other people who call themselves technology activists, or are called technology activists, but I think largely it's a matter of making things better for people. Were we in a period where fire was invented, we'd be the people handing out burning twigs to other tribes. A technological activist might sell them for dinosaur eggs, shells, or so forth... and that's clearly not technology activism. When we figured out how to make fire, we'd share that too... but a technological activist might not, instead using it to barter. I think at the end of the day... technology activism could be seen as a selfish act. In a way it is for me. I don't get progress unless the people around me get progress... and one of the principles of this is that we want a better world, we're dissatisfied with the one we see, and we don't believe in advancing by pushing others down so we can stand on them.

But all of this is just a tip of the iceberg on my perspective... someone commented on my blog that as a phrase, 'technology activism' doesn't mean too much... and yet, it's the ambiguity of the phrase that gained my acceptance... it doesn't limit what I do. It defines HOW I do things pretty well. If I had a lot of money, I'd probably still be doing what I am doing. It's a theory worth testing. Someone give me lots of money and let's see what happens! :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com