On Saturday, 24 August 2013 at 20:03:58 UTC, Rory McGuire wrote:
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com>wrote:

David Nadlinger:

It's a cute idea, but not really practical, I'm afraid – Goroutines are
managed by a scheduler in the Go runtime library, whereas D threads
directly map to OS threads.

Can't Rory McGuire add a scheduler to his code? How much code does it take?

Bye,
bearophile

I imagine that it will be fine on Linux because threads truly are
lightweight on Linux, but its not going to be great on windows.

Funny, I always thought otherwise, because Windows only has threads.

Processes are just a means of grouping threads on Windows, as there isn't the distinction between threads and processes that UNIX systems used to make.

Then again, I lost track how the performance on Linux systems changed across the whole Processes -> LinuxThreads -> NPTL -> Posix Threads evolution.

--
Paulo