On Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 22:03:12 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Joseph Rushton Wakeling:

T is qualified via isFloatingPoint :-)

I know, but that qualification could change in future evolutions of your code. Strong type safety means that if you change a type in your code, with a localized change (like removing isFloatingPoint at the top of your function) the whole code that depends on that type (like the body of this function of yours) will keep working as safely as before :-)

OK, I accept your argument :-)

As things stand I'm inclined to leave the code using "new" for now. I'll see if I can work out anything about why minimallyInitializedArray might be problematic -- at a guess, perhaps it accidentally gets in the way of some potential optimizations?