On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 at 17:45:50 UTC, John Joyus wrote:
On 10/22/2013 06:42 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
LDC 0.12.0, the LLVM-based D compiler, is available for download!

Congratulations!

I am a D enthusiast who reads more *about* D than actually learning the language! ;)

I have a question about LLVM.
When it comes to performance, do all LLVM-based languages eventually match each other in speed for any given task, no matter it is Clang or D?

I guess having or not having a GC (or different implementations of it in different languages) will make a difference, but if we exclude GC, will they be generating the same exact code for any given operation?

In other words, though two different languages are based on LLVM, can one of its binary exceed the other in speed?

Thanks.

It depends.
Two benchmarks of different languages and compilers:
http://togototo.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/benchmarking-level-generation-go-rust-haskell-and-d/
http://togototo.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/benchmarks-round-two-parallel-go-rust-d-scala-and-nimrod/

I think it's answer for your question. For example, Clang (LLVM C) is fastest, LDC (LLVM D) has 2-nd place, but LLVM-GHC (LLVM Haskell) ~ 2 times slower.