On Wednesday, 6 November 2013 at 21:25:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
There have been a lot of comments about the package naming scheme and numbering scheme. I confess that these issues do not seem that important to me, as the user just clicks on a url, but I recognize that they are very important to others.

This is why I believe that D needs a Build Master. This person needs to be someone who ensures that the packages are all properly built, the build scripts work, the versions are done right, the git tags are done, etc., and takes pride in it being done to perfection.

(Note that because dmd changes constantly, and the operating system targets also change constantly, the package build scripts constantly break.)

Eventually, I'd like at least the package builds to be done automatically by Brad's autotester. But someone still needs to make sure it is working properly and keeps working properly.

It might need to be multiple people because very few people are experts in every platform supported. Maybe a release manager with more "platform lieutenants" to help.

In any case, I think this is a good idea.

Nick's tool should help whomever takes on this job until the autotester stuff is in place: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/24