Good to have a thread on it, thank you for taking this step Walter !

Although, it looks to me that the numbering scheme and the git tags are not
related to the build, but rather related to the release.
So you might consider a release master, not just build.
This will involve doing (or delegating to the proper person) the changelog,
define a release cycle, which will include pre-release (rc / sanity check),
release (communication / building / test / upload ...), and possibly
post-release (be sure the security fixes are being backported to the
supported versions, ie) actions.
IMO that would be very beneficial for D to have someone holding that role.