On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 at 03:12:40 UTC, Andrew Edwards
On 12/10/13, 10:18 AM, Dicebot wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 15:09:13 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
I don't understand. Rebasing the release branch on top of master shouldn't be an option, as it means you are taking all the changes to master and put them in the release branch. That's just using master as
a release branch. The other way around would be crazy.

Yes, of course, it is not a normal thing to do. As far as I understand, Andrew wants to restart release branch from scratch, based on current master state (because old base happened before he started working on release management). In that case it is a natural (and exceptional)

Yes. This is precisely the case and exactly what I'm trying to achieve. My hope is that by doing this I will not be adversely effecting any code already merged into the branch. If there is a chance that this might happen, I would rather cherry-pick the items that must be included or simply forgo such inclusion until the next release.

What problems do you see merging cherry-picked stuff back into master? IIRC git should be smart enough to recognize duplicated commits and
ignore them, at least if you merge often.

In my experience it was not smart enough. It may have changed in latest
versions of course.

I think that, resetting current release branch in Phobos repo
does not cause so serious problem. So it is acceptable to me.

Kenji Hara