My knowledge of compiler constructions is fairly limited and I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the Scala compiler is broken. Scala has gained some bad reputation for long build times (just google for Scala and build time) which IMHO cannot be explained by the large number of language features. D has a comparable large number of language features and compiles much faster than Scala.

D has been designed from the beginning with caution on compilation speed and thinking about how to keep it slow to begin with. D not only in that way is a language that was thought out. On the contrary, Scala seems to me to be a language where many features of various languages were thrown into one and then a compiler was built for it. The incremental Scala compiler pretty much rescues the build time problem, though, and they are mostly lucky now. Also, IMHO, implicits are really crazy and it should have been clear from the beginning that they will become a problem for scalable build times, see http://java.dzone.com/articles/implicits-scala-conversion. Interestingly. Martin Odersky got his Ph.D. from Niklaus Wirth at the ETH and I don't want to know what Wirth would say about implicits.

The presentation by Paul Phillips was discussed in the Scala forums at great length:

What's up with Paul Phillips?
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de#!topic/scala-debate/IgrKCdConlA
54 replies

What's up with Paul Phillips?
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de#!topic/scala-user/ImqlClXTrS4[201-225-false]
201 replies

Sadly, the only serious language on the JVM besides Java8 is Scala. Ceylon has not taken off at all after becoming 1.0. Groovy's language extensions are basically AST transformations and not truly baked into a "real" language. Nobody knows how Kotlin will be doing when it turns 1.0 maybe somewhen in autumn/winter this year.

To get a plus for your skill set when applying for Java jobs you will have to learn Scala. For a Java developer like me any chances for a job doing D are very slim. But I keep looking into D just out of interest and to get some food for my mind. There is so much to learn from looking at D and playing with it that I keep doing it just on a fun & interest basis.