On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 07:43:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

Java came up with it most likely as it was the way in Smalltalk.

That's right. As Smalltalk is dynamically typed it is not an issue there anyway and Java to begin with had to parameterized types till JDK4.

I guess you need to be more up to date to Scala news. :)

Interesting. But it kind of looks like yet another academical thing similar to Scala. To me Kotlin is the better "Scala done right" language. But I won't play with it until I see its compiler speed being a lot better than with Scala ...