On 22/04/14 07:57, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

Yeah, I understand the license options essentially, but it's more than
just the license text, there are license cultures that affect the
decision, and people are borderline religious about this sort of
thing.
I mean, the GPL seems fine to me, but there are many people who see
GPL and avoid it like the plague as a matter of superstition or
something. I'd prefer to not discourage interest or contribution just
because I wrote "GPL" near my code.
Then people invented LGPL and in my experience, this makes some of
them feel okay with it, and others still don't wanna go near it.

What practical reasons are there to avoid GPL if your software is
fundamentally open-source?
Ideally, I'd like something like GPL, with the option that I can grant
someone an exception to the license upon request.

If you want to use some library that is not GPL, or incompatible with GPL. Or the opposite. If someone wants to use your code, but not want to use GPL, but still an open source license. BSD, for example, is much more flexible in these cases.

--
/Jacob Carlborg