The sad reality is that your physical appearance - including your
clothing - can have a big impact on how people perceive you, so in many
situations, wearing nicer clothing can have a definite impact. This is
particularly true when dealing with stuff like sales where you're
constantly having to deal with new people. That's not to say that
clothing makes the man, but impressions like that can matter, even if it
seems like they shouldn't. So, it makes a lot of sense for some folks to
wear nicer clothes - or "professional" clothes - as part of their job.
However, for engineers, it's ridiculous. We shouldn't normally be
interacting with anyone where it would matter. So, attire like t-shirt
and jeans should be fine. Our clothing should have little impact on our
job. And in most cases, if an engineering manager is pushing for that
sort of thing, I think that it's a very bad sign.

Yea, various things about appearance definitely have a subconscious effect on perception. That's a fairly deeply ingrained part of human nature, unfortunate as it may be.

But what really gets me is when people have it as a fully *conscious* belief, not just subconscious. Then my "WTF" meter just redlines.

              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Timothee Cour via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DMD v2.066.0-rc1 Maxim Fomin via Digitalmars-d-announce