On 10/01/2014 05:15 PM, Dicebot wrote:

[Mint] gained lot of popularity when
Ubuntu switched to Unity as default desktop environment and Fedora moved
with Gnome 3 - quite many users started looking for a distro with more
conservative defaults.

Yea, y'know, about that [entirely predictable] phenomenon: I've occasionally wondered whether Canonical, and the Gnome devs (the ones that didn't jump ship to Mate/Cinn), and heck even MS and Mozilla...if they've been *deliberately* trying to decrease their userbase.

I know personally that permitting optional settings is *not* as difficult as those organizations/devs make it out to be, *especially* when compared to the effort involved in completely redoing a whole damn UI. So it's really the only explanation I can come up with to explain Gnome3/Win8/FF3/FF4/FF29/Unity/etc other than just "they must've all gone nuts" ;)

However [Mint's] development / maintenance team does
not seem to match that popularity burst.

Yes, of course that isn't a complaint against Mint. Despite having left it, I do like Mint, FWIW. I just wanted to go rolling release (and really, the non-free stuff isn't all that difficult to get up and running on straight Debian at this point - a lot of it worked out-of-the-box for me, and even Flash was trivial to install after a one-minute web search).